Typically, air conditioning systems go through cycles to maintain a specific room temperature, i.e., when the room reaches the desired temperature, it shuts off until the cycle begins again. If this happens in short intervals, it is called short cycling. Read on if you’re experiencing the problem and planning to contact us for aircon servicing in Singapore:
What Is Short Cycling?
As earlier explained, an air conditioner goes through cycles to reach the desired temperature. Typically, such cycles last around 20 minutes; short cycling occurs when this cycle happens too quickly. When the ac turns off and on in short bursts, it becomes inefficient and does not cool the room properly. It also leads to increased energy bills.
What Causes Short Cycling?
Some of the common reasons for short cycling include:
- Faulty Thermostat: If the thermostat is defective or isn’t wired properly, it does not send signals to the system, frequently turning it on and off. Sometimes, the thermostat is placed near a heat-generating device or in direct sunlight, causing the ac to turn on and off irregularly. A faulty thermostat must be replaced, but if there’s a problem with the wiring, it can be corrected by a qualified aircon servicing technician.
- Low Refrigerant Levels: Low refrigerant levels cause changes in pressure, thereby triggering the compressor to shut down and switch on, which in turn causes the ac to turn off and on frequently. A qualified aircon maintenance and repair technician can check for leaks and low refrigerant levels and prevent short cycling.
- Air Conditioner Too Big For The House: A large ac will inevitably cool a room too quickly, causing the system to shut itself off. It also leads to high energy bills and frequent aircon maintenance & repair calls. Before buying an air conditioner, consult an expert to help you choose the right system for your room.
- Clogged Air Filters: Air filters that aren’t replaced frequently cause dirt to build up, causing the air conditioner to short cycle. When airflow is clogged with dirt, dust, and other microscopic particles, it puts excess strain on the compressor and other components.
Some other reasons for ac short cycling include clogged condensate ducts and frozen evaporator coils.
What Are Signs Of Short Cycling?
Some of the common signs of short cycling include:
- Hissing sound from the ac
- Water pooling near the indoor unit
- Ac not cooling properly
- High energy bills
What To Do If Your AC is short cycling?
Short cycling is not something that you can solve on your own. If your ac experiences one of the above problems, call a qualified aircon servicing technician to determine the problem and get the system back on track.